17 RAAF Squadrons were formed within the RAF during WWII, of which 8 served with Bomber Command. • RAAF Bomber Command squadrons included 455, 458, 460, 462, 463, 464, 466 and 467 Squadron
Australian Squadrons Bomber Command was a multi‐national force and Australian aircrew could be assigned to one of the Australian squadrons, or to a Royal Air Force (RAF) Squadron. The first two Australian squadrons were formed in 1941 (No 455 and No 458), but by 1942 No 460 Squadron and 467 were the only RAAF squadrons with Bomber Command. Further RAAF squadrons were formed throughout the war and combined there were 17 squadrons with the RAAF formed within the RAF. Early Days Bomber Command began attacking Germany days after France was invaded in 1940. The Bomber Command strategy until mid‐1941 was to attack petrol and oil supplies, and transportation systems such as railways. In August 1941, a survey of bombing accuracy over Germany at night revealed that just 30 per cent of bombers found their way to within five miles of specific targets. The main difficulties were flying in darkness, bad weather and primitive navigation aids.

No. 467 flew one of the most famous Lancasters in Bomber Command: R5868, a Mk. 1, which flew 137 operational sorties-more than any other RAF heavy bomber (with the exception of Lancaster ED888 "Mike-Squared")
Originally "Q-Queenie" seen here taking off for a mission of No. 83 Squadron, R5868 logged 79 sorties (the first against Wilhelmshaven on 8th/9th July 1942, the 79th against Milan on 12th/13th August 1943) before joining No. 467 Squadron in November 1943, and becoming "S-Sugar".

The story of the squadrons follows the great epics of Bomber Command. No. 463 Squadron was created from the rib of 467 Squadron, so to speak. It was formed in November 1943 from the parent squadron. 457 squadron was initially formed with three flights – designated 'A', 'B' and 'C' – although it was usual practice for Lancaster squadrons to consist of only two. In November 1943, No. 467 Squadron lost its third flight when it was used to raise No. 463 Squadron RAAF, another heavy bomber unit flying Lancasters.

What a time to be formed, during the notorious Battle of Berlin and the battles of the Ruhr, Hamburg.
As D-Day approached the low-level bombing of targets in France and along the Normandy coast. Followed by the tactical operations in support of allied advances and further attacks of German industrial targets.

"S for Sugar" resumed operations on 26th/27th November with a sortie against Berlin, and logged its 100th operation on 11th/12th May 1944, when the target was Bourg Leopold in Belgium. Its last operational sortie - to Flensburg on 23rd April 1945-was disappointingly anticlimactic: owing to 10/10 cloud no bombs were dropped.

Lancaster B I R5868 "S-Sugar" is the oldest surviving Lancaster. It was delivered to the RAF in June 1942 and flew for the remainder of the war. It originally as "Q-Queenie" with No. 83 Squadron RAF from RAF Scampton and then as "S-Sugar" with No. 463 and No. 467 RAAF Squadrons from RAF Waddington. This aircraft was the first RAF heavy bomber to complete 100 operations going on to fly 137 sorties. She was chosen to be on display at the RAF Museum, Hendon in 467 Sqn markings.