The squadron was first formed in 1942 as a heavy bomber unit and saw combat in this role in the Mediterranean area until it was disbanded in March 1944. No. 462 Squadron was reformed at RAF Driffield, Yorkshire in Britain on 12 August 1944 as an Australian heavy bomber squadron within RAF Bomber Command, now equipped with Halifax B.Mk.III bombers.

No. 462 Squadron flew its first operational mission on 25 August and subsequently took part in attacks against 39 different targets over the next four months in support of Allied ground forces in Western Europe and as part of Bomber Command's campaign against Germany. Halifax aircraft of 462 squadron had vertical yellow stripes on their tails for in flight recognition.

‘Jane’ No MZ913 a Halifax Mrk III flew over 100 trips and was used in the first operations of the squadron.

A Halifax bomber crew relax at breakfast after a night operation, The men are being looked after by women of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force (WAAF) who, ‘ would wait for them for hours to feed them when they come back’. Sometimes these young women waited for the return of a crew with more than usual anxiety. Peggy Mills worked as a bat-woman looking after officers’ rooms at No. 462 Squadron RAAF when it was stationed at RAF Driffield, later in the war:

"After a while you get used to seeing an empty bed – someone not returned from ops. My first service boy-friend was at Driffield and was an air-gunner with 462. His birthday was the same as mine but he was one year older. He went out on a mission on 9 October 1944 and didn’t return at 19 years old. I wanted to die but you get over it. "

[Peggy Mills, quoted in Alby Silverstone and Stan Parker, Brave and true, 446–462 Squadron Association, Sydney, 1992, p. 41; AWM SUK11668]

On the night of 16/17 April 1945, Halifax MZ467 of 462 Squadron, RAAF, embarked from the RAF base at Foulsham, UK at 2358 hours [11:58pm] to carry out a flight over Augsburg, Germany. Ten aircraft from the squadron took part in the mission and of these only MZ467 did not return. Six of the aircraft took part in a feint window attack on Augsburg and the other four operated with the main force.
This was the last Halifax shot down by German Night fighters during the war.
In 2005, the remains of the Halifax were found in a field in Germany. There were many items found at the crash site.

Of the eight crew members only three survived. Flight Officer Lodder, Flight Sergeant Naylor and Sergeant Casterton became POW’s while the other five members of the crew died. They are buried in the Durnbach War Cemetery, about 46 kilometres south of Munich.

Lodder bailed out separately from the other survivors and did not know their fates. In a later report, he stated; “The aircraft was damaged by two attacks from a night fighter. After the first attack the intercom and emergency light was U/S [ damaged and unserviceable] and no orders could be given. The Engineer raced past me towards the forward hatch, with his clothes on fire and screaming. Doubtful if he bailed as he seemed to collapse opposite me. Do not know who bailed out. The aircraft controls were jammed after the first attack and flames spread as far as my compartment after the second attack. The fate of the others is unknown. They were probably wounded and unable to bail out as the aircraft was blazing for some time before I found myself outside and floating down after being blown out. I managed to release the chute. The aircraft crashed about 5 miles from Nordendorf, North West of Augsburg. I walked for an hour and a half in a westerly direction before giving myself up at Nordendorf and received treatment. I had 1st and 2nd degree burns to my face & hands and a broken foot and was treated in a German Hospital. I was later released as a stretcher case and repatriated to UK [United Kingdom]”.